What Is Man Jing Zi
Man Jing Zi is commonly known as Vitex Fruit or Fructus Viticis and is the fruit of Vitex trifolia L. or Vitex trifolia L. var. simplicifolia Cham, which is a deciduous shrub belonging to the family Verbenaceae. It first appeared in <Shennong Ben Cao Jing> in the late Western Han Dynasty (about 100 BC).
There are about 250 species of Vitex, which are mainly distributed in tropical regions, and only a few are distributed in temperate regions. Among them, only some plants have medicinal value.
Vitex trifolia L is light-loving, heat-resistant, and drought-resistant. They grow well in the sandy wasteland with deep soil.
They often grow in the bushes near the river and villages at an altitude of 300-1,600m. They can be found in southern China, India, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Australia. The fruits of this plant can extract aromatic oils.
Vitex trifolia L. var. simplicifolia Cham is a variant of Vitex trifolia L.. They can be planted on loose, well-drained river beaches, sandy land, etc. They are distributed in China, Japan, India, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Australia, and New Zealand.
In autumn, people gather the mature fruits of Vitex trifolia L. or Vitex trifolia L. var. simplicifolia Cham, remove impurities, dry them, use them directly, or stir-fry them to make them into Chinese herbal medicines.
Man Jing Zi contains vitetrifolin A-I, vitextrifolin A-G, vitexilactone, vitrifolin A, vitrdoin B, oleanolic acid, prunellin A, taraxerol, α-amyrin, ursolic acid, corosolic acid, lupeol, betulic acid, monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, luteolin, apigenin, vitexin, isoorientin, casticin, quercetin, kaempferol, emodin, chrysophanol, emodin methyl ether, lignans, vanillic acid, ethyl p-hydroxyformate, caffeic acid, β-sitosterol, β-daucosterol, stigmasterol, amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins, volatile oils, and a small number of trace elements.
Generally, gray-black or dark-brown, plump Man Jing Zi with strong fragrance is preferred.
According to <Shennong Ben Cao Jing>, the medicinal property of Man Jing Zi is slightly cold, with a pungent and bitter taste.
It has a certain therapeutic effect on the pathological changes of the bladder, liver, and stomach meridians.
In traditional Chinese medicine, it is often used to dispel wind and heat, treat cold headache, hypertension headache, rhinitis, periodontitis, acute conjunctivitis, chronic bronchitis, gastritis, acute mastitis, supraorbital neuralgia, trigeminal neuralgia, tinnitus, deafness, dim vision, senile cataract, rheumatic arthralgia.
There are about 50 kinds of traditional Chinese medicine prescriptions containing it, such as Huang Lian Shang Qing Wan, Bo Yun Tui Yi Wan, and Xiongju Shangqing granules.
- Anti-inflammation, inhibiting xylene-induced ear swelling in mice and egg white-induced rat foot swelling.
- Anti-oxidation, scavenging DPPH free radicals, and NO free radicals.
- Raising the pain threshold and inhibiting the pain caused by the hot plate experiment in mice.
- Reducing the body temperature of rats with fever caused by 2,4-dinitrophenol.
- Inducing apoptosis of K562 cells and HL-60 cells.
- Reducing liver damage induced by CCL4 and protecting the liver.
- Inhibiting the activity of histamine release and blocking the spontaneous contraction of guinea pig trachea induced by histamine.
- Inhibiting the contraction of the ileum induced by histamine or acetylcholine.
- Treating dizziness and headache caused by wind-heat, and migraine caused by wind evil attacking the upper.
- Dispelling wind and heat, treating redness, swelling, and pain of eyes, blurred vision, and delacrimation caused by wind heat attacking the upper.
- Sending up the lucid yang, treating deafness and tinnitus caused by deficiency of qi in middle-jiao.
- Dispelling wind and relieving pain, treating rheumatic arthralgia.
- Its decoction has a certain inhibitory effect on Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus, Proteus and Bacillus cereus.
- Studies have found that its extract can inhibit mouse lens aldose reductase and prevent cataracts and diabetic complications caused by polyhydroxy compounds, such as sciatica, nephropathy, and retinopathy.
- It can be used in combination with Bo He (Mentha) and Ju Hua (Flos Chrysanthemi) to treat dizziness and headache caused by wind-heat.
- It can be used in combination with Chuan Xiong (Rhizoma Chuanxiong), Bai Zhi (Radix Angelicae Dahuricae), and Xi Xin (Asari Radix et Rhizoma) to treat migraine caused by wind evil attacking the upper.
- It can be used in combination with Ju Hua (Flos Chrysanthemi), Chan Tui (Periostracum Cicadae), and Bai Ji Li (Fructus Tribuli) to treat redness, swelling, and pain of eyes, blurred vision, and delacrimation caused by wind heat attacking the upper.
- It can be used in combination with Huang Qi (Radix Astragali), Ren Shen (Radix et Rhizoma Ginseng), Sheng Ma (Rhizoma Cimicifugae), and Ge Gen (Kudzu Root) to treat deafness and tinnitus caused by deficiency of qi in middle-jiao.
- It can be used in combination with Qiang Huo (Rhizoma et Radix Notopterygii), Du Huo (Radix Angelicae Pubescentis), Chuan Xiong (Rhizoma Chuanxiong), and Fang Feng (Radix Saposhnikoviae) to treat rheumatic arthralgia.
Modern studies have shown that the toxicity of Man Jing Zi is relatively low.
A small number of people taking it may cause allergic reactions such as wheals and itching.
If you need to take it for a long time, please consult a professional doctor and formulate a reasonable medication plan.
Precautions and Warnings
- The dosage of Man Jing Zi should be controlled at 5-9g.
- It can be made into decoctions, lotions, pills, powders, or medicinal liquor.
- It is recommended to mash it before decoction when making decoction.
- People who are allergic to vitex should not take it.
- People with a deficiency in the stomach should not take it.
- People with blood deficiency and fire should not take it.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take it.
- The unprocessed Man Jing Zi is often used to dispel wind and heat, and the stir-fried Man Jing Zi is often used to elevate yang to cure prolapse syndrome., dispel wind and relieve pain.