What Is Niu Huang Jie Du Wan
Niu Huang Jie Du Wan is a Chinese patent medicine commonly used clinically. It first appeared in <Yan Hou Mai Zheng Tong Lun> in the Yuan dynasty (about 1278).
Niu Huang means “Artificial Calculus Bovis”, Jie Du means “Detoxication”, and Wan means “Edible pills”. It is a traditional Chinese medicine prescription mainly composed of artificial calculus bovis.
In traditional Chinese medicine, it is often used to clear heat and remove toxins, and treat stomatitis, oral ulcers, acute periodontitis, gingivitis, acute pharyngitis, tonsillitis, acute pancreatitis, essential thrombocytosis, scrotal eczema, drug-induced rashes, local infections at the injection site, suppurative otitis media, fungal vaginitis, early skin infections, herpes zoster, simple folliculitis, and infusion phlebitis.
With the development of pharmaceutical technology, it has been improved into pills and capsules with more standardized dosages.
In the market, the common Niu Huang Jie Du Wan include Niu Huang Jie Du Wan, Niu Huang Jie Du Pian, and Niu Huang Jie Du Capsules.
- Niu Huang (Artificial Calculus Bovis)
- Xiong Huang (Realgar)
- Shi Gao (Gypsum)
- Da Huang (Radix et Rhizoma Rhei)
- Huang Qin (Radix Scutellariae)
- Jie Geng (Radix Platycodi)
- Bing Pian (Borneol)
- Gan Cao (Licorice Root)
Niu Huang is the most important ingredient in this prescription. Its medicinal property is relatively cool. It can clear the heart and induce resuscitation, clear heat and remove toxins.
The medicinal property of Shi Gao is extremely cold. It can clear heat and purge fire, relieve restlessness and quench thirst.
The medicinal property of Huang Qin is relatively cold. It can clear heat and dry dampness, reduce fire and remove toxins.
The medicinal property of Da Huang is relatively cold. It can relieve constipation and eliminate accumulation, clear heat and purge fire, cool blood and remove toxins. The synergistic use of the above four drugs can more effectively clear heat and remove toxins.
The medicinal property of Xiong Huang is relatively warm, with toxicity. it can counteract toxic substances and treat sores, ulcers, and furuncles. The medicinal property of Bing Pian is slightly cold. It can induce resuscitation and restore consciousness, clear heat and relieve pain. Their synergistic use can more effectively reduce swelling and pain.
The medicinal property of Jie Geng is relatively neutral. It can disperse lungs and relieve sore throat, and treat retention of urine and constipation.
The medicinal property of Gan Cao is relatively neutral. It can reconcile the effects of other Chinese herbal medicines in this prescription.
It can be used in combination with Da Huang, Huang Qin, and Jie Geng to reduce the toxicity of Xiong Huang.
- Anti-inflammation, inhibiting xylene-induced mouse ear swelling and egg white-induced rat foot swelling.
- Increasing the pain threshold, prolonging the latency of the pain response in mice caused by thermal stimulation, and reducing the number of writhing responses in mice induced by glacial acetic acid.
- Inhibiting the increase in body temperature of rabbits caused by 2,4-dinitrophenol or cholera bacteria.
- Treating mouth and tongue sores, recurrent oral ulcers, dry mouth with desire for drinking, and constipation caused by hyperactivity of stomach fire.
- Treating gum swelling and pain, fever, headache, thirst with frequent drinking, dry feces, dark urine, flushing, and submandibular scrofula caused by the exuberant heat in Sanjiao
- Relieving throat swelling and pain, and treat pharyngitis caused by the exuberance of deficiency fire or fire heat attacking the upper.
- Treating acute pancreatitis, primary thrombocytosis, scrotal eczema, drug-induced rash, herpes zoster.
- The topical application of its powder can treat local infections at the injection site, suppurative otitis media, acute pharyngitis, fungal vaginitis, early skin infections, simple folliculitis, and infusion phlebitis.
- Inhibiting Staphylococcus aureus, beta-hemolytic streptococcus, green streptococcus, Escherichia coli, Erysipelas suis, and Pasteurella suis.
How to use it
When using Niu Huang Jie Du Wan, follow the instructions for the medicine. Niu Huang Jie Du Wan include big candied pills, pills, and capsules.
When using the ancient Chinese medicine method to make Niu Huang Jie Du Wan, Huang Qin, Jie Geng, Shi Gao, and Gan Caoare decocted together, and their filtrate is taken and concentrated into a thick paste, ground Da Huang and Xiong Huang are added, dry them, then Niu Huang and Bing Pian are added, and mixed Evenly, and make them into pills.
It requires multiple pharmacists to make.
When taking its big candied pills, you should take it orally. The dosage per administration is about 3g. Take it 2-3 times a day.
When taking its pills, you should take it with warm water. The dosage per administration is 3 tablets (about 0.52g). Take it 2-3 times a day.
When taking its capsules, you should take it with warm water. The dosage per administration is 2 capsules (about 0.8-1g). Take it 2-3 times a day.
Generally, after taking the medicine for 1-2 days, the patient’s symptoms will be relieved. Patients should stop using it when their symptoms have resolved.
Some patients taking it may cause diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, stomach upset, rash, itching, edema, severe drug eruption, dizziness, headache, drowsiness, insomnia, palpitations, chest tightness, dyspnea, or anaphylactic shock.
Individual patients taking it can cause abnormal liver biochemical indicators, gastrointestinal bleeding, hematuria, or acute kidney injury.
Overdose or long-term use of it may cause skin roughness, thickening, and hyperpigmentation.
Individual patients who take it for a long time may cause arsenic poisoning.
Precautions and Warnings
- During the medication, it is not recommended to eat cold, spicy, and greasy foods.
- People who are allergic to the ingredients in Niu Huang Jie Du Wan should not take it.
- It contains realgar and should not be an overdose or taken for long periods of time. Continuous medication for more than half a year can cause arsenic poisoning.
- It should not be taken at the same time as medicines containing realgar.
- People with weakness of the spleen and the stomach should not take it.
- People with loose stools should not take it.
- Patients with severe liver damage should not take it.
- Patients with acute, chronic kidney disease should not take it.
- Infants, pregnant women, and breastfeeding women should not take it.
- After taking the medicine, if there is an adverse reaction, the patient should stop the medicine in time and go to the hospital for treatment.
- If you are taking other drugs at the same time, you should consult your doctor to prevent interactions between the drugs and affect the efficacy of the drugs.
- After using it for 3 days, if the symptoms are not relieved, the patient should go to the hospital in time.